Steps to Get Police Clearance or Non-Criminal Certificate in Bangladesh
Author: Mostak Ahmed
Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) aka Non-Criminal Certificate is an important piece of document mostly needed for studying abroad, applying for work permit or permanent residence permit and so on. Different countries or institutions have different requirements and conditions for PCC hence, it is important to understand the details to prepare PCC from home country as asked.
Process of collecting Non-Criminal Certificate in Bangladesh could be little bit cumbersome due to lack of accurate information and few other mystical issues. In this article I will discuss the general process of collecting Police Clearance/Non Criminal Certificate in Bangladesh to be used in China.
Apply for Police Clearance Certificate (PCC):
- Prepare following documents,
– Chairman certificate/certificate from commissioner stating your identity
– Attested copy of your passport
– Chairman Certificate
– A passport size photo
- Once you have the documents ready, go ahead and apply through the local police station in your hometown (usually the permanent address of the passport). Although this process should be free but some may charge about 300 Taka, paying the amount will help you to avoid any unnecessary hassle.
- The computer operator will use your personal phone number, detailed information and scan copies of your documents to complete the submission. Before submission you must ensure all given information is correct.
- Once submitted you will receive SMS confirmation of your application. In order to complete the process, you need to deposit 500 Taka as treasury chalan at Sonali Bank or Bangladesh Bank. This ‘Treasury Chalan’ form can be found at any photocopy shop near Sonali Bank or Bangladesh Bank branch.
You can also Apply Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) Online.
- After completing the application process, your file will be assigned to a Police Officer for verification. The officer will visit your home address within 15 days and submit verification report to his commanding officer/OC.
- Then OC will fill up a form with your personal information which is already provided by the Home Ministry of Bangladesh and send to the SP Office in District branch. This process requires about 3-5 working days to arrive at the SP office via postal service.
- After receiving the information page and application from local police station, SP office will send the file to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) for further verification. Once verified, MOFA will send it back to the SP office, this process needs about 15 days to get verified (govt. offices always prefer govt. postal service, which is quite slow).
- Once the documents are sent back to local SP office, the SP will sign and send everything back to the local police station where you have initiated your PCC application. Congratulation! It is now ready for you to collect!
- This complete process from very beginning until the end requires about 45 days.
Some countries like China requires additional attestation of PCC or Non-Criminal certificate from the Chinese Embassy.
In order to notarize the Non-Criminal certificate from the Chinese Embassy you will need following documents/preparation,
- Notarize the Original Non-Criminal certificate from an advocate or Notary Public. This will cost about 100 Taka.
- Passport original and photocopy
- Non-Criminal certificate original and photocopy
- National Id card original and photocopy
Go to Chinese Embassy visa section between 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM during working days and submit for attestation. There are 2 types of delivery options, Express delivery and Normal delivery, Express requires 3 working days and costs 5000 Taka, Normal delivery requires 7 working days and costs 2000 Taka.
Note: There could be few obstacles and challenges while applying for PCC or Non-Criminal Certificate. Of course there are other ways around which can minimize the time period as well as unnecessary hassle. Please feel free to contact me for further details.
I hope this article has been informative for you and thank you very much for your attention.
You may reach me at –
If you have any questions please leave a comment.